The Albany

The Albany is a restaurant, pub and sports bar with gaming facilities, where we found ourselves early one Wednesday evening. I was worried that it wouldn't be a suitable place for kids, but the space is large and divided into various sections - the gaming side, the restaurant area and the pub/bar area, so I needn't have to worry at all.

Spacious dining area out on the balcony
Specials on the chalkboard
We sat at the restaurant area where it was large and spacious. There were highchairs for the kiddos, and the lovely waitress even brought out some paper and coloring pens without us asking, to keep Liam occupied while we ordered.

Cooling down with a Tohu Road Sauvignon Blanc and Monteiths Summit Beer
The menu surprised me a little. I was expecting only pub fare like Fish and Chips and Burgers (which they had), but it also offered finer food items like its Sizzling Scallops and Chicken Liver Pâté served with toasted crostini as starters, and mains which included lighter salad options like the Beetroot, Apples and Goats Cheese Salad, and Chicken stuffed with feta and spinach, to more substantial meals like Lamb Shanks, Duck Confit, and a Surf n' Turf!

Seafood Paella (NZD21)
I felt like something different and decided to try their Seafood Paella (NZD21). The flavors were delicious and fragrant, tomato-ey with a bit of a spicy kick, and I loved the generous amount of prawns and squid in the dish, but overall the dish was a little too creamy for my taste. I prefer the drier versions served straight from the pan where the rice sticks to the side. Scraping the sticky, crispy bits at the end was always the best part! Nevertheless, this was an enjoyable dish.

Corn and Zucchini Fritters
We ordered some Corn and Zucchini Fritters from the 'Specials' board for Liam, which arrived looking picture-perfect and tasting absolutely wonderful. I loved the colors on the plate, and the fritters were mouthfuls of soft and crispy zucchini deliciousness, with lovely bits of shrimp thrown in to make the fritters more filling and satisfying. I could have easily had this as my main dish.

Steak and Fries (NZD15)
Wednesday is 'Steak and Fries' day, where 200gm of Sirloin is served with salad and fries for only NZD15! A no-brainer where The Husband is concerned. Again, this was a wonderful dish. The steak was tasty and juicy, served with a generous portion of gravy, and the fries were delightful and extra-crispy, just the way I like them. 

Overall, The Albany exceeded my expectations, serving food that's a class above regular pub food, in a casual, informal setting. The bar area gets a little loud, and you may be glanced at once or twice for walking in with an infant (which happened to me until I realized the restaurant was actually next door), but the surroundings are pleasant, the pricing is decent and the food, tasty. What more could you want on a Wednesday evening?

The Albany
276 Dairy Flat Highway
Albany, Auckland
Tel: +64 9 415 9515

Comments

  1. Those fritters would have been my order - food looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts