Let Us Cook: Lemon
The Husband's ingredient for the week was 'Lemon', but neither of us wanted it in a dessert. I'd just bought Nadia Lim's Easy Week Night Meals at a special event the previous week, so The Husband decided to look for a recipe in the book that used lemons as an ingredient. He ended up cooking Fish and Crispy Potatoes with Apple and Rocket Salad and Lemon Caper Aioli.
The lemon wasn't quite the star of the dish as you can probably tell, but it was certainly an ingredient, so technically it still 'fits' our very loose rules of the challenge, and we cooked something we've never cooked before, which is really the whole point.
The meal turned out superbly - with lovely, fresh flavors and textures, and it was simple to cook/assemble and very tasty. We had a snapper filleted at our local fish store for the main ingredient. Check out the recipe below if you want to try it for yourself!
Fish and Crispy Potatoes with Apple and Rocket Salad and Lemon Caper Aioli
(from Nadia Lim's Easy Week Night Meals)
Crispy Potatoes and Fish:
700-800g Agria potatoes, sliced into 1cm-thick rounds
1-2 tbs olive oil
600g boneless white fish fillets (skin on)
1 tbs butter
Apple and Rocket Salad:
2 small green apples, thinly sliced and cut into matchsticks
Juice of 1 lemon
4 large handfuls rocket leaves
Extra virgin olive oil, to dress
Lemon Caper Aioli:
3 tbs Japanese mayonnaise
2tbs chopped capers
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
(Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.)
1) Place potatoes on prepared tray and drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast until golden and crispy, 20 - 30 minutes.
2) While potatoes cook, prepare salad and aioli. Place apple matchsticks in a bowl and squeeze over lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
3) Mix all lemon caper aioli ingredients together and set aside.
4) Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels and remove any remaining scales or bones. Season with salt. Heat butter in a large fry-pan on medium to high heat. Cook fish, skin-side-down, for about 2 minutes until skin is golden and crispy then flip over and cook flesh side for 1 minute until just cooked through.
5) To serve, toss apple with rocket and dress with olive oil. Divide potatoes and salad between plates and top with a piece of fish and a spoonful of aioli. Serve with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over just before eating.