New home

It's been a crazy month. We've moved into our new apartment in a little town called Durmersheim, which is part of the district Rastatt in the state of Baden-Wurttemberg. It's actually situated halfway between Karlsruhe, where we used to live, and the town of Rastatt itself, and is about equal driving distance to both cities.

Durmersheim itself is small, quiet, and quite unlike anywhere I've ever lived before. I'm still adjusting to 'small-town' life, and the fact that it takes me slightly less than an hour (walking to the tram stop and then taking the tram) to get to the closest city.

We're still getting to know the area and our way around. Thankfully, our apartment block is right next to the only supermarkets in the town, which makes shopping for food easy. There are also a few playgrounds scattered around, and some shops and cafes lining the main street. But apart from that, it is suburbia, and while I do miss the hustle and bustle of the city, it is admittedly nice to have the space and quietness to raise our two little boys - for now.

After three weeks, we've finally unpacked all our boxes, got the boys enrolled in their respective kindergartens/daycares (although they don't start until September), sorted out insurances and all the paperwork involved with registering a family with the local city council, and made a dent in Liam's medical appointments, which will span the next two to three months as we sort out his eye, ear and heart issues. We even managed to have a play-date for the boys as well as friends over for tea and dinner!

It's been busy to say least, but I'm thankful that we got the bulk of it done before The Husband goes back to work on Friday and we embark on this next phase of our lives here. Me, as a SAHM once more, while The Husband returns to work full-time.

Hopefully, this time it will be better. Hopefully, I've had enough time over the past weeks to feel comfortable in this little town on my own, and to make my way around with confidence. Hopefully, this time I'm more prepared to be a SAHM in a place where I still do not speak the language. Hopefully, we'll meet some wonderful, like-minded people we can call our friends and family and build the strong network of support that we didn't have before. Hopefully, this time the lonely days will be far fewer than the full and happy ones. Hopefully, I'll be stronger and able to do what needs to be done for myself and for my family. Hopefully, this time I don't lose sight of who I am and my needs as a person, and instead, learn to merge my dreams and passion with the realities of being a mother and a wife.

Hopefully, this time we can do it right. 

This is our second chance to build our lives here in Germany. To learn from mistakes of the past and to grow and be enriched from it. And I really hope we can.

In the midst of all the busy-ness of settling into our new home, we've also taken the time to enjoy it and to explore our surroundings whenever we could. Here are some photos taken over the past few weeks that I'd like to share with you! Needless to say, this is just the beginning, and I'm looking forward to many, many more adventures and beautiful moments in our days.

We absolutely love our new kitchen, which The Husband painstakingly designed 

Liam enjoying the armchair as only he could
A visit to the beautiful castle grounds in nearby Rastatt

Love the salmon-coloured facade of the Schloss Rastatt
We're going on a train into Karlsruhe! (An excitement which lasted ten minutes)
Another day, another castle - Schloss Karlsruhe is still magnificent
Schloss Karlsruhe and its surrounding gardens/park is a great place to spend the day 
Water fountain at the Karlsruhe castle grounds
Water play on a hot summer's day on our balcony
Playground time
Indoor play area at Aposto, a family-friendly cafe/restaurant in Karlsruhe

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing these lovely photos. Both your boys are looking good. I like the wooden counter worktop of your kitchen. May all of you have many more wonderful moments in your lives. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apartment looks lovely! I'm living in my second small German town but sometime I question if we should have moved to the city (but I think Brandenburg is not nearly as nice as the South). Hopefully you can find a Kita for the kids, keeping kids home all day is just exhausting. I don't know how parents in the USA stay home with kids until they are school aged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts