“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
I have loved the word 'Sojourn' for as long as I can remember. It speaks of impermanence. Movement. Exploration. And it sums me up in one word. I'm a Sojourner. I always have been.
I've been fortunate enough to travel the world ever since I was a child. First with my family throughout Asia, and then to further places and countries like Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the United States.
When I was 18, I left my hometown of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to continue my university education in Michigan, USA. It was the first time I've ever lived abroad, and it would not be the last. I can honestly say that from that first moment I stepped off the plane to a snow-covered Michigan, 'home' was wherever I happened to be, wherever my suitcases were, wherever I left pieces of my heart.
I lived in the United States from 2001-2004, moved back to Malaysia where I begin my career as a writer, went on to New Zealand where I lived (on and off) from 2007 - 2011, and then to Germany in 2012. My little family and I moved back to Auckland in February, 2015. Through all the moving and re-settling and making a home for myself in foreign lands, I never stopped exploring the places, cities, countries around me whenever I could.
I've been lucky enough to experience the depths of winter in Michigan, a glorious summer's day in the Gold Coast of Australia, wandering through the old city of Prague, standing before the glorious Cologne cathedral, sailing in the Auckland Waitemata harbor, visiting the Christmas market in Strasbourg, France and many more experiences that mean more to me than any possession ever will. The best part is that there is still so much of the world to be seen, explored and discovered.
My travels have shaped my passions, my believes, my dream, and are a large part of who I am. I hope to share this love of mine for sojourning, for being a part of the 'world', for opening my eyes and heart to different places, culture, people and food, with all of you here.
- A post on what it's really like to travel alone here.
- Discovering Paris.
- Strasbourg is one of my favorite European cities.
- A girly weekend in Paris!
- All about Germany's Christkindlesmarkt (Christmas Markets).
- Frankfurt, the 'Big Little City'
- Carolinensiel, Nordsee
- The volcanic island of Santorini.
- Family vacation at Tanjung Rhu Resort, Langkawi.
- A review of the Grand Hyatt, Kuala Lumpur.
- Bon Ton, Langkawi, a boutique hotel with a difference.
- My solo holiday at the Intercontinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, Thailand.
- A short hop across the ditch to Sydney!